Monday, August 30, 2010




Are you adventureous? If you live in New York City, I hope your answer is a resounding "yes!". Manhattan is an entertaining crisscross of neighborhoods; within 15 minutes of subway ride you can find almost any culture, language, religious practice, culinary specialty, or any exotic and specific combintion humanly possible for your exploration.




I go to Chinatown often for food, people watching and a little adventure. Something unexpected always seems to pop up from nowhere and surprise me. Most New Yorkers know Chinatown is where they can find inexpensive seafood, but what I saw a couple of weekends ago impressed even a regular like myself. In a massive grocery store off the beaten track, in addition to the regular selection of seafood, were enormous sea clams and conchs the size of small cats. Against the wall were menacing-looking sea bass swimming to and fro - I'd definitely advise against eye contact!




The most unexpected were the mussels. Tied up as small bundles, I initially thought they were frozen somehow....until one employee poured cold water on them. All of a sudden these protrusions - pseudo feet - at each end moved like crazy as if they were trying to run back into the sea! It was then I realized they were still alive.




I sincerely hope they have no feelings....




Sassy

No comments:

Post a Comment